Usually the recipes we share on Perfect Shine are for keeping your home nice and clean, but today we’ve found some recipes worth sharing that will keep your teeth in proper order—and save you a few bucks! There are a couple of different versions of toothpaste. You can opt for a tooth powder that you dip a wet brush into, or create a paste. You have the option of making one batch for each person so there is no double dipping, or you could keep a central tooth jar. Totally up to you! The great thing about making your own toothpaste is you can control the ingredients and you can save a ton of money. If you are using a natural toothpaste brand like Toms of Maine, you could save $4-5/ batch with some of these recipes. That adds up over the year 🙂
Depending on which recipe you choose you’ll need a few basic ingredients. You won’t need all these ingredients for each recipe, and you can always cut on the extras like xylitol to save money! The key ingredients are the baking soda & peppermint oil!
- Baking Soda
- Fine Sea Salt
- Peppermint Oil or Extract or Your Favorite Essential Oil Flavor (Spearmint, Orange, Etc.)
- Xylitol or Stevia Powder
- Coconut Oil
A lot of people from around the web have written on the subject so we’ve collected a few of our favorite recipes to share with you!
- DIY Natural’s Toothpaste Recipe – This one is super simple with only 4 ingredients. Feel free to add xylitol or stevia to sweeten it up if you need to!
- Keeper of the Home’s Toothpaste for Re-mineralization Recipe – This is great if tooth decay is an issue for your family.
- Cheeky Mom’s Recipe for Clay Toothpaste – This recipe uses bentonite clay! Do you dare brush your teeth with dirt?
- The Kitchn’s Recipe for Toothpaste – A simple recipe that includes glycerin
Have you ever made your own toothpaste? What did you think?